3 litres of water
1 lb (450g) beef mince
2 onions (diced)
4 carrots (diced)
1 leek (diced)
1 turnip (diced)
Parsley (I used fresh)
1 Bay leaf
1 sprig of thyme
1 clove of garlic (minced)
Pinch of salt
Pepper (to your taste)
1/2 cup of rice
- Bring water to the boil.
- Add all vegetables and the beef mince.
- Cook for 15 minutes – skimming any froth that may appear.
- Add rice, parsley, clove, bay leaf, garlic, salt and pepper to the pan.
- Allow to simmer for 50 minutes – skimming froth as required.
- Remove bay leaf and clove from the pan before serving.
2 tbsp olive oil
2 white onions – thinly sliced
5 cloves of garlic – minced
Chorizo – roughly chopped
Mushrooms – roughly chopped
500g Passata or tinned chopped tomatoes
2 breasts of chicken
2 tbsp green pesto (link to gluten and dairy free)
2 tbsp Worcester Sauce (link to gluten and dairy free)
2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
1/2 cup red wine
1 tbsp basil
1 tbsp oregano
1 tbsp paprika
1 tbsp parsley
1 tsp black pepper
50g of risotto rice
1-litre chicken stock
Shaved cheese to top (link to dairy and gluten-free)
- In a big pot heat olive oil and saute the onions till translucent.
- Add garlic, mushrooms, balsamic vinegar, Worchester sauce, red wine and pesto.
- Next, add the herbs (basil, oregano, paprika, parsley and black pepper).
- Pop in the chicken and allow to cook on the outside.
- Add passata and stir until chicken is cooked through.
- Next is the bit that requires patience. Add the risotto rice and coat in sauce.
- Gradually add chicken stock little by little and allow to be absorbed into the rice. Add more, wait till absorbed and repeat (if your rice is still hard in the centre, continue adding water and allowing to absorb until desired consistency is achieved).
- Sprinkle with some parmesan cheese and serve.
This risotto is amazing to pre-cook, allow to cool, portion and keep in the fridge for around 3 days and freezes really well.